'Journal News' bears arms

Wednesday, January 9, 2013
 | 
Chad Groening (OneNewsNow.com)

Conservative watchdogs say it is pure hypocrisy that the suburban New York newspaper that unleashed public outcry after publishing the names and addresses of residents with pistol permits is now protecting itself with armed guards.

OneNewsNow reported in December that The Journal News, owned by the Gannett conglomerate, published an online interactive map with the names and addresses of pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. It obtained the public records following the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut.

Gainor, Dan (MRC)But last week, publisher Janet Hasson told The New York Times, "The safety of my staff is my top priority" to explain why she ordered armed guards posted at the paper's White Plains headquarters and its satellite office in West Nyack.

That leads Dan Gainor of the Media Research Center, to conclude: "They're hypocrites."

"They want to hold journalists up as something different, but reality is everybody, when you're threatened, you want to be as armed as the other guy," Gainor asserts. "I think it's good that their hypocrisy has been shown out. I certainly don't want them to get threats, but I do want them to lose advertisers."

Mike Hammond, legislative counsel at Gun Owners of America, agrees.

"It's pretty clear that for these people, protection of their own mangy carcasses is more important than the protection of their children," he contends. "Hypocrisy in the anti-gun movement -- that's nothing new to anyone."

And Hammond believes the newspaper publisher's perceived fear of retaliation from law-abiding gun owners is misguided.

"Perhaps it was a perception in their own deranged mind that gun owners were dangerous," he submits.

He tells OneNewsNow that Gun Owners of America has received numerous death threats directed at its members and their children for standing up for Second Amendment rights in the wake of the tragedy in Newtown.

We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and ensure it addresses the article - NOT another reader's comments. Comments that contain a link (URL), an inordinate number of words in ALL CAPS, rude remarks directed at other readers, or profanity/vulgarity will not be approved. More details

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY NEWSBRIEF

SUBSCRIBE

VOTE IN OUR POLL

Why did attorneys drop their case against pro-life videographer David Daleiden and his team?

CAST YOUR VOTE

GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

SUBSCRIBE

LATEST AP HEADLINES

Shooting deaths of law enforcement spike in 2016
Prosecutors drop all remaining charges in Freddie Gray case
Judge dismisses manslaughter charge against Florida deputy
Trump says Russia should find Clinton's missing emails
Judge Roy Moore defends his gay marriage ban memo
Hostage: Terrorists forced my husband to film murdered priest
Georgia police officer fired for flying Confederate flag
Judge: Reagan shooter can leave hospital to live in Virginia
Obama admin. spending millions to buy blueberries

LATEST FROM THE WEB

Democrat speakers short on truth
Leftists at DNC: ‘Long live Palestine,’ destroy Israel, support Black Lives Matter
School district tries 'homeschooling illegal' ploy
Poor Bernie — a loser remains a loser because the fix was in
Democrats’ hysterical rhetoric could help make Donald Trump president

CARTOON OF THE DAY

Cartoon of the Day

REASON & COMPANY

NEXT STORY
Media continues to ignore ‘March for Life’

Despite the fact that tens of thousands of people showed up in Washington and other cities for last Friday's "March for Life" events, media coverage from the major secular news agencies was sparse.