Justice Dept threatens sanctuary cities

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (April 21, 2017) — The Trump administration intensified its effort to crack down on sanctuary cities that refuse to comply with federal immigration authorities, sending letters Friday to nine jurisdictions threatening to withhold grant money unless they document cooperation.

The letters went to officials in California and in major cities including New York, Chicago, Philadelphia and New Orleans, all places the Justice Department's inspector general has identified as limiting the information local law enforcement can provide to federal immigration authorities about those in their custody.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions has increasingly warned the administration will punish communities that refuse to cooperate with efforts to find and deport people who are in the country illegally.

In a statement Friday, the Justice Department said the recipients of its letters are "crumbling under the weight of illegal immigration and violent crime."

The letters warn officials they must provide proof from an attorney that they are following the law or risk losing thousands of dollars in federal grant money that police agencies use to fund anything from body cameras to bulletproof vests.

"Failure to comply with this condition could result in the withholding of grant funds, suspension or termination of the grant, ineligibility for future O.J.P. grants or subgrants, or other action, as appropriate," wrote Alan R. Hanson, acting head of the Office of Justice Programs, which administers the grant program. It's the leading source of federal justice funding to state and local jurisdictions.

Cities have resisted the Trump administration's threats. Seattle, not one of the places targeted with a letter, and other jurisdictions have sued the Trump administration over the sanctuary issue.

Earlier this week, Sessions accused sanctuary cities of undermining law enforcement efforts to fight transnational street gangs.

We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and ensure it addresses the article - NOT another reader's comments. Comments that contain a link (URL), an inordinate number of words in ALL CAPS, rude remarks directed at other readers, or profanity/vulgarity will not be approved. More details

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY NEWSBRIEF

SUBSCRIBE

VOTE IN OUR POLL

What's your reaction to a federal judge blocking Trump's order withholding funding for uncooperative 'sanctuary cities'?

CAST YOUR VOTE

GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

SUBSCRIBE

LATEST AP HEADLINES

Health care repeal gets boost from caucus
Trump calls court's sanctuary ruling ridiculous
  Ark. judge pulled from death penalty cases seeks probe
US Navy fires warning flare at Iran vessel in Persian Gulf
  ESPN laying off 100 broadcasters, writers as viewers dwindle
  Suspect charged with 3 counts of murder in Fresno rampage

LATEST FROM THE WEB

Coulter cancels Berkeley event
Is state champion football coach going to get fired .... for being white?
Florida diocese punishes teacher who quoted saint’s critique of Islam
No PC: Confederate flag to fly at city hall in Florida
UC Berkeley riots: Violence looms as mayor questioned over ties to extremist group

CARTOON OF THE DAY

Cartoon of the Day

REASON & COMPANY

NEXT STORY
Suspect charged with 3 counts of murder in Fresno rampage

FRESNO, Calif. (April 26, 2017) — The black suspect in a racially motivated shooting rampage in Fresno was charged Wednesday with three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of white men he targeted randomly on the street, prosecutors said.