Trump: US hasn't been notified about threat to cancel summit

Associated Press

WASHINGTON (May 16, 2018) — President Donald Trump said Wednesday the U.S. hasn't been notified about North Korea's threat to cancel his planned summit with Kim Jong Un next month.

North Korea threatened earlier in the day to scrap the historic summit next month between Trump and Kim, saying it has no interest in a "one-sided" affair meant to pressure the North to abandon its nuclear weapons. Trump maintained that he'll still insist on the country's denuclearization should the summit go on.

"We haven't been notified at all" about the threat, Trump said as he welcomed the president of Uzbekistan to the White House.

He added: "We haven't seen anything. We haven't heard anything. We will see what happens."

The warning from North Korea's first vice foreign minister came after the country abruptly canceled a high-level meeting with South Korea to protest U.S.-South Korean military exercises that the North has long claimed are an invasion rehearsal.

Press secretary Sarah Sanders said earlier Wednesday that preparations for the summit were ongoing despite the cancellation threat and that Trump is "hopeful" the meeting will still take place.

"If it doesn't we'll continue the maximum pressure campaign that's been ongoing," she told Fox & Friends.

Oregon Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden said he is concerned that talks are "really being oversimplified" by the White House.

"This is not a like condo deal where two people sit down and hash out a number of outstanding issues and then they say 'Well, some lawyers can write it up,'" he said.

Consider Supporting Us?

The staff at Onenewsnow.com strives daily to bring you news from a biblical perspective. If you benefit from this platform and want others to know about it please consider a generous gift today.

MAKE A DONATION

Comments

We moderate all reader comments, usually within 24 hours of posting (longer on weekends). Please limit your comment to 300 words or less and ensure it addresses the article - NOT another reader's comments. Comments that contain a link (URL), an inordinate number of words in ALL CAPS, rude remarks directed at other readers, or profanity/vulgarity will not be approved. More details

SIGN UP FOR OUR DAILY NEWSBRIEF

SUBSCRIBE

VOTE IN OUR POLL

What's your response to reports that the 2019 Scout Jamboree will make condoms and alcohol available to participants?

CAST YOUR VOTE

GET PUSH NOTIFICATIONS

SUBSCRIBE

LATEST AP HEADLINES

Judge: President can't block critics on Twitter
Latest: Bethea: New NFL policy 'not really a compromise'
Pompeo: Fate of US-NKorea summit rests with Kim Jong Un
Estimated 7,000 bodies may be buried at former asylum
Trump defends describing MS-13 gang members as 'animals'
Mexican Mafia busted for running crime in LA County jails
Trump seethes over Russia probe, calls for end to 'SPYGATE'

LATEST FROM THE WEB

NFL to players: Stand for anthem or stay in locker room
Sidestepping political debate, Super Bowl champion QB says he's honored to visit the White House
NFL national anthem policy stirs reaction as 49ers owner says he abstained
Valedictorian forced to strip Jesus from speech
Crapweasel of the week: Educrat Arne Duncan

CARTOON OF THE DAY

Cartoon of the Day

REASON & COMPANY

NEXT STORY
Latest: Bethea: New NFL policy 'not really a compromise'

ATLANTA (May 23, 2018) — The Latest on the NFL’s new policy requiring players to stand if they are on the field during the national anthem but permitting them to stay in the locker room if they prefer (all times EDT):