Former Alabama Supreme Court Justice Roy Moore blasted the Washington Post for accusing him of sexual misconduct, saying that the allegations of the leftist daily are completely false and just a means of forwarding its “political agenda.”
The Republican Senate nominee insists that the Washington daily’s charge that the pursued romantic relationships with teenage females as a 30-year-adult are merely a tactic to help his Democratic rival beat him in the upcoming election.
“In the next few days there will be revelations about the motivation and the content of this article,” Moore predicted while speaking at a campaign appearance Saturday at a library in Birmingham, Alabama, according to Fox News. “I do not expect the Washington Post to stop. I think they have a political agenda.”
Moore threatens lawsuit over WaPo story
Alabama Republican Roy Moore says a lawsuit will be filed over the newspaper report carrying allegations that he had sexual contact with a 14-year-old girl four decades ago and that neither Democrats nor Republicans want to see him win a special Senate election. (More details)
Unearthing decades-old lies?
Moore maintains that there is no truth behind any of the allegations that were said to have taken place four decades ago.
“I have not been guilty of sexual misconduct with anyone,” Moore asserted.
Noting that the Post is endorsing his Democratic rival for the Senate, Doug Jones, Moore contends that the paper is maneuvering to knock him out of the running before the election.
“[The Washington Post has waged] yet another attack on my character and reputation in a desperate attempt to stop my political campaign for United States Senate,” Moore contended, according to Fox News.
Conservative sources believe that Democrats and Establishment Republicans are behind the latest slander campaign.
“The story has inflicted major damage to Moore’s campaign ahead of next month’s special election for the seat once held by Attorney General Jeff Sessions,” Fox News’ Alan Pappas explained. “There has been talk of possible write-in campaigns from other Republicans, though nothing has yet materialized.”
Not me …
When asked on the Sean Hannity radio program if he dated 17- or 18-year old teens while he was in his 30s, Moore answered that he does not recollect having such encounters and condemned such behavior is inappropriate.
“If I did, I’m not going to dispute these things, but I don’t remember anything like that,” Moore told Hannity.
He was then asked to address a claim made by Leigh Corfman, who alleges that Moore initiated sexual encounters with her when she was 14 years old.
“I don’t know Ms. Corfman from anybody,” Moore argued, according to the Washington Post. “The allegations of sexual misconduct with her are completely false.”
Moore then went on the offensive.
“This is a completely manufactured story meant to defrock this campaign,” Moore added. “They don’t want to acknowledge that there is a God. And we have refused to debate them because of their very liberal stance on transgenderism.”
Bailing out …
Bracing for the worst, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) withdrew his endorsement of Moore shortly after his interview with Hannity.
“I am pulling my endorsement and support for Roy Moore for U.S. Senate.” Lee posted on Twitter, according to the Post.
Even though the beleaguered Senate candidate said there was no truth behind the accusations, he announced to his Twitter followers that he was officially parting ways with the “Ten Commandments Judge.”
“Having read the detailed description of the incidents, as well as the response from Judge Moore and his campaign, I can no longer endorse his candidacy for the U.S Senate,” Lee tweeted.
Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) retweeted Lee’s announcement before making an official one of his very own.
“I am pulling my endorsement and support for Roy Moore for U.S. Senate.” Daines posted on Twitter.
The bad news kept coming and coming for Moore late last week, as financial sources to pay for his campaign are fewer.
“Earlier in the day, the National Republican Senatorial Committee pulled out of a joint committee it had set up with Moore – depriving him of a fundraising vehicle for the final weeks of the campaign,” the Post recounted. “At the same time, current and former national party leaders admitted that they have little power to force Moore from the race. The special election is Dec. 12.”
Moore indicated that with his huge double-digit lead over his Democratic competitor, the Democrats have resorted to playing dirty to knock him out the competition.
"My opponent is 11 points behind,” Moore announced, according to CNN. “This article is a prime example of fake news – an attempt to divert attention from the true issues that affect the country like health care, military readiness, tax reform or national debt.”
He mentioned how the alleged incidents were supposed to have taken place approximately four decades ago.
“[The allegations are] very hurtful to me personally,” Moore expressed, according to CNN. “I have the highest regard for the protection of young children. [I never gave alcohol to a minor and have] not been guilty of sexual misconduct with anyone."
The former judge was confident that the “ongoing investigations” into the motivations behind the Post article will soon be released.
"We fully expect the people of Alabama to see through this charade and to vote in the primary coming up," Moore concluded.